Monday, November 11, 2013

Zoey's "Big Girl" Chair

So my little Zoey is now almost 18 months old.   I have been neglecting my blog for almost a year.

I've achieved a ton of home improvement projects in the past year, working during naps and school vacation time when daycare was open and I was off work.  (We have to pay for daycare even if Zoey doesn't go, so she went to visit with her pals there while I got some stuff done.)

My latest project was another inspired by Young House Love. (If you haven't read their blog, you totally should go check it out.)  They had a hand me down tall toddler chair that Sherry painted for their daughter Clara.  Zoey likes to sit at the table with us, so I kept my eyes open for a similar chair for Zoey.  I found one secondhand from a nice lady who retired from my school district and I went to work to update it.
Ready for paint!

Last year, Marden's had a HUGE sale on spray paint-the good stuff, so I stocked up on some fun colors figuring I'd do something with them some day.

I cleaned the chair and deglossed it with some TSP substitute, then set to work. I primed it with Rustoleum 2x primer (it took 2 cans).  I kept the chair upright and tried to bend my arms in crazy ways to get underneath.  I should have done the underside first, then flipped it upright.  I ended up with lots of drippy primer that had to be sanded off.  Live and learn.
Primed!

Once it was dry enough to recoat, I painted it with Rustoleum's "Lagoon," a dark turquoise. I did the underside first, then flipped it upright to do the rest.  It took 2 full cans.
Watching paint dry.

After 2 coats

Dry enough to move into the house!
Zoey seems to like it!
Zoey learned a new word! "Chair!"


No comments:

Post a Comment